Sunday, 30 January 2011

Rural Rajasthan

Rural Rajasthan is all the positive adjectives you can think of, but good internet connections is not one of them!   I had written the previous blog some time ago, saved it, and whilst in lovely little Bundi I found a small (and I REALLY mean small) internet cafe to send it.  By the time the young boy running the place got the dial-up connection to work, and I had got my flash drive installed into his computer, the connection disappeared!

The young lad wriggled wires trying desparately to get it going again - a passing cow stuck it's head in, and a family of wild pigs looked in too, but the internet would not reconnect.  

We had a real treat last night when we stayed in a 350 year old castle ... honestly, I kept pinching myself!  Our room was like something from Arabian Nights, and our balcony overlooked the small rural village just outside the castle walls, so we had a bird's eye view of the goings on inside all the little farm courtyards.  Saris of all colours hung over the walls to dry, cow and buffalo dung patties laid out to dry in the sun ready to be used for cooking fuel ... we were even treated to the sounds of local school children happily chanting their lessons, then the Muslim call to prayer echoing through the village.

This morning we toured one of the many huge forts built by Maharajahs all over Rajasthan.  Chittaugarh Fort is one of the biggest, and is 5km long, with a 31 km  circumference, a gigantic structure.  Within it's walls the people lived and we had a particularly excellent guide, a jovial fellow, with the typical Rajasthani handle bar mustache and excellent English skills. He made the history of the fort and palace come alive with his stories, and as we stood amongst the ruins of the 700 year old palace we shivered when he showed us where the women and children had all committed suicide on the fires' flames once they knew the battle was lost, rather than be taken captive.  Also, of the nurse who was given the task of caring for the 8 year old Rajput prince, and when word came to her that his uncle was on the way to kill the boy she smuggled him out and put her own son in his place. 

Later, with this resourceful fellow by our side, we joined a group of opium farmers and their families as they enjoyed a meal in one of the fort's open areas.  They had cooked it using buffalo dung as fuel, and happily offered us a taste of their dal and bread - how could I refuse?  It was delicious, and with no after effects!

To be continued ...

3 comments:

Sue said...

I am adoring reading all these. Keep 'em coming Pauline. You have a wonderful way with words and paint a picture I can almost see!

Pauline said...

Thanks Sue, it's feels so good to share some of this amazing journey - I can't keep it all to myself. This trip has exceeded my wildest dreams ... the people, the animals, the palaces, forts and castles ... the noises, even the smells (good and bad!) are all a part of me now.

After this relaxing few days in the Udaipur countryside we fly to Pune to meet my epal of 5 years for the very first time - I'm very excited! He has lots planned for us ... next we fly down to the beaches of Goa for 4 days to relax before flying home (but I don't want to think of going home yet!! :-)

Cheers! (or, namaste, as they say here.)

Epsilon said...

I too enjoy this travel diary and you really envoke the scenery very well but I would nevertheless love to see some photos...
Pal