It is 10:30am on our first morning in India! Feeling more excited than jet-lagged I am sitting on a garden swing in a delightful little walled courtyard in front of our Delhi guest home. It has a million pots with all types of hanging and standing plants, with clay statues intermingled, so lovely. I keep pinching myself ... to remind me that yes we really ARE finally in INDIA!! The various frights and upsets getting here I won't go into ... they were frustrating but now forgotten. (Although the actual flight New York - Delhi was surprisingly good!!) Our driver was waiting for us at the airport along with the Delhi rep from his company, and we had a "fascinating" ride through late night Delhi traffic to our charming little guesthouse here in quiet south Delhi.
As I write, I hear a radio across the street with some Bollywood belle singing her heart out ... various men's voices calling to each other in Hindi, a man walking his bicycle singing out his wares has been by twice - but he sings out in Hindi so I have no idea what he is selling. This little courtyard is surrounded by bright coloured birds with tropical sounding calls, rather like a crying baby ... from the rooftop courtyard this morning Ray and I saw a beautiful bright green parrot-type bird flitting from rooftops.
The sun is shining but it is a delightful temp. A delicious breakfast (curried chickpeas, a vegetable dish and scrambled eggs) was eaten with the family at a large round table. The husband is a very interesting character - used to be an engineer, now describes himself as a meditating entrepreneur!!! (He thought I looked way too young to be retired - so I immediately warmed to him!) He and I talked of the pleasures of meditating, and how the technique allows him to live harmoniously in a city of 17 million people.
I spoke on the phone with my epal Suri, whom we will stay with after seeing Rajasthan - hearing his voice for the first time (after corresponding for nearly 5 years was very exciting) So, our first few hours in this amazing country have been filled with various delights.
Our driver Anesh has just arrived - a sweet man and excellent driver with razor sharp reactions and a breaking foot of steel. So we're off now to discover the sights of Delhi.
To be continued ...!
As I write, I hear a radio across the street with some Bollywood belle singing her heart out ... various men's voices calling to each other in Hindi, a man walking his bicycle singing out his wares has been by twice - but he sings out in Hindi so I have no idea what he is selling. This little courtyard is surrounded by bright coloured birds with tropical sounding calls, rather like a crying baby ... from the rooftop courtyard this morning Ray and I saw a beautiful bright green parrot-type bird flitting from rooftops.
The sun is shining but it is a delightful temp. A delicious breakfast (curried chickpeas, a vegetable dish and scrambled eggs) was eaten with the family at a large round table. The husband is a very interesting character - used to be an engineer, now describes himself as a meditating entrepreneur!!! (He thought I looked way too young to be retired - so I immediately warmed to him!) He and I talked of the pleasures of meditating, and how the technique allows him to live harmoniously in a city of 17 million people.
I spoke on the phone with my epal Suri, whom we will stay with after seeing Rajasthan - hearing his voice for the first time (after corresponding for nearly 5 years was very exciting) So, our first few hours in this amazing country have been filled with various delights.
Our driver Anesh has just arrived - a sweet man and excellent driver with razor sharp reactions and a breaking foot of steel. So we're off now to discover the sights of Delhi.
To be continued ...!
4 comments:
So, so excited to read about your first day in India. Can't wait to get more. Good luck. Safe travels. Beth
You must be so thrilled. I look forward to future posts from India.
Thrilled to bits to hear that you are enjoying yourself so much. How I envy you the warmth there instead of the freezing fog here!
I hope you continue to enjoy yourselves.
Anonymous is me Pauline! Sorry - forgot to sign it.
Sue X X X
Post a Comment