Saturday, 4 September 2010

Travel Journals ...

Every time I go away on vacation I buy a spanking new journal with the very best intentions of filling every page with all my new adventures. Generally, I manage to keep it going for the first 2 or 3 days, then get behind a few days, and finally give up entirely in disgust as I'm so far behind it would take forever to get caught up.

Today is 4 months and 14 days until we leave for India, and I am determined to be a better journal writer on this trip. So, whilst browsing the travel books in my favourite bookstore I came across a wonderful little gem called "Writing Away" with a sub title of "a creative guide to awakening the journal-writing traveler" ... now, doesn't that sound just the thing for this perennial procrastinator? I flicked through it and immediately liked the author's style. With chapters like 'Let the Wild Writing Begin', 'Write Two Pages and Call Me in the Morning', and 'Having a Great Time, Wish I Were Here' - how could I resist?

The author, Lavina Spalding, has not disappointed me, and I am devouring this book like it was my last meal. I love this woman!! We must have been separated at birth! She had me hooked even in the Introduction with lines like:

"My aspiration is to embolden you to view everyday life as a journey and travel as an ongoing state of mind ... we write words in an empty book, and an inanimate object is transformed into a living, breathing memoir ...(your journal is) a relationship, and let me tell you, it's no cheap one-night stand."

So, I hungrily read on, and I learn that my journal should be unlined! "What?" I cry at the book in alarm, but Lavinia convinced me that an unlined book "evinces freedom: license to plaster the page with chaos, to doodle, sketch, experiment, paste in colourful brochures and paper chopsticks holders. An absence of lines leaves room for the imagination to take over." Of course, that's where I've been going wrong, I say to myself. My journals have all been lined, and obviously I've felt stifled, so stifled I couldn't continue - it has nothing to do with laziness at all. So, emboldened with my new enthusiasm I set out to find just the right journal for me.

Now, have you ever looked for a journal with blank pages? They are few and far between, everyone obviously wants the safety of lines! But, in the 3rd or 4th shop I found one, and the Buddha head and bamboo motif on the cover really 'spoke' to me, - and I could hear Lavinia's cheers at my success as I hurried home with my spanking new journal. I continued reading her book, and I was told that the book should "be willing to lie flat" and the pages should be cream or tan as "stark white pages can be intimidating." Naturally, my new journal does NOT lie flat and the pages are white. What's a poor intimidated journal writer to do? (Maybe read the WHOLE chapter before enthusiastically rushing to the shops?)

But, "Writing Away" continues to charm me. I've learned that my old habit of eavesdropping is not rude at all, in fact I am simply looking for "found dialogue" and as I scribble down the overheard gems in my journal I can be assured that I am participating in "one of life's sweet nectars". I'm not sure if Lavinia will ever make a continuous and conscientious journal writer out of me, but I certainly am enjoying her book and ideas regarding travelling. Last night before dropping off to sleep I read:

"Travel renews our youth, giving us dispensation to reclaim the original zest for art so often rooted out of us as adults. Surrounded by the unfamiliar, we regain the eyes of a six year old."

With those sweet thoughts in my head, I had very pleasant dreams last night.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Can't wait to read the results on your return home!

MollyBee said...

I so agree with the author. Your journal should be unlined! All of my journals are. It leaves room for a sketch, photo, cartoon or whatever relates to where you are. Sometimes it is just a piece of material or straw that you want to remember. Laying flat makes writing so much easier. I make most of my journals or my dear daughter will surprise me with one. Whatever you decide, do journal, it will be a treasured memory. Hugs!

Pauline said...

Hey Molly, you are far ahead of me in this venture - good for you! I forgot your DD makes journals, does she sell them online? Maybe email me her website ...

See if you can get this book from your library, I think you'd enjoy it (even if only because you have found someone who thinks like you, that's always a treasure!)

Cheryl said...

What a great"gush" of words and excitement all flowing out of you at once ! Soar sweet spirit , you make me smile !

MollyBee said...

DD does not sell journals on her website. Sorry. That's why I felt so flattered to get one for my trip, that she had made. I'll look for the book, I'm sure I would enjoy it. You know, "like minds and all that". LOL