Sunday, 29 August 2010


I saw a very interesting documentary the other day. Basically it featured many groups of people of all ages, getting together every morning in various public parks and laughing. Yes, laughing. Loud, raucous laughter! It was quite funny to watch, and you found yourself smiling at them, but their intent was not to make YOU smile, but to make themselves feel better.This was Laughter Yoga. An amazing technique started in Mumbai India, by Dr. Madan Kataria 15 years ago. Apparently, he was writing an article entitled "Laughter - The Best Medicine" and decided to test it on himself and a few friends. It seems the body cannot tell the difference between real laughter and laughter on command, and the benefits are amazing!

"Studies have shown that laughter has a profound positive impact on both our physical and mental well-being. The benefits range from reducing anxiety and stress, to oxygenating our blood and organs, to improving circulation and releasing endorphins. Laughter also lifts our mood, reduces blood pressure and strengthens our immune systems. Western science is just beginning to discover the many positive effects of laughter."

So, the good Dr. Kataria of Mumbai added a few yoga breathing exercises between bouts of laughter, and voila, 'Laughter Yoga' was born! Now there are Laughter Yoga groups all around the world. I googled it and found there is even a group here where I live. I've emailed the leader to see when they meet - so watch this space!

Try it ... throw your head back, and laugh out loud (maybe in a private place at first if you are a little shy). It works, and who knows, perhaps it might shed a few pounds too - or, you'll simply be too relaxed to worry about them!

1 comment:

SUE said...

I am convinced this is correct. I laugh out loud every day at the antics of Kizzie and Brodie but sunshine helps as well and I never miss an opportunity to get out and soak it up but could do with more of it!