Dear Mother,
I don't think you have noticed that I am not visiting you as often as I was. The staff there think it's better for both you (allow you to bond with them a bit more) and me, and I think it is working. You certainly seemed more relaxed when I visited last Wednesday, although all that fuss with the new wheelchair rather upset you, didn't it. Don't worry, you'll get used to it, it's basically the same as the old thing you were using, just more comfy!
I'm sorry to hear you lost your bottom teeth. Yes, it's hard to keep track of them, isn't it ... but you seem to be managing very well without them. Let's not worry about it, the way you were chomping into that beef stew when I was there showed me you really don't need them (I think bottom teeth are over-rated anyway!)
Glad you like the new sandals I bought you. You can wear those thick mauve socks you love so much with them, and the Velcro straps will expand to fit the socks. I must make a note to buy you some more socks ...
Another thing you haven't realized is that Aileen who you used to talk to all the time is no longer there. She died last week. They don't make a big fuss about deaths at the Home, it seems, maybe that's for the best. Already there is a new lady in her bed, and sitting at your table, she seemed to like you and I'm not sure why she is there but she doesn't appear to have dementia. She even comes from London England like you! Try to be friendly to her mother, everyone needs a friend.
See you on Wednesday ...
1 comment:
Yet another lovely letter Pauline. I think you should keep these and print them out and put them in her coffin when she finally passes away.
I hope you don't think that is ghoulish.
Post a Comment