Friday, 26 February 2010

What kind of superior mind control does it take to skate a 4 minute programme at the Olympics and only make a few minor errors - when your 55 year old mother has just suddenly died from a heart attack????

I'm a healthy sceptic when it comes to judging many of these athletes from around the world (are they really amateurs?? drug-free?? etc. etc.) and all the money that is poured into 17 days of hoop-la could be used to wipe out AIDS from Africa!!

BUT, I stayed up until 11:30pm last night to watch Joannie Rochette show us that we can take control of our minds.  We can put aside the most horrendous event and focus on the task at hand.  Her mother had been in Vancouver to watch her skate, and skate she did.

As one who has wrestled all my life to manage my thoughts and emotions ... I'm in awe.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

The love of a mother and the love for a mother are a pwerful force of strength and determination.

Well done Joannie!

Sue. said...

Amazing. I saw it on the news.
In my own experience, I felt my Mother was driving me on. She died on 28th March, I took David to court on 30th and 31st and her funeral was three days after that. I was given the choice of delaying the court case, but just knew that Mum would not have wanted me to go belly up just because of her. That's how she would have seen it.
It was the week from Hell, but I survived it with my Mother's help I am sure. There is not a shred of doubt in my mind.
Possibly that was perhaps the case with Joannie.

Pauline said...

Thanks for sharing that Sue, I'm certain you are correct - your mother's strength was working with you.

A mother's love is powerful indeed!!