Sunday, 7 February 2010

Is 60 old???

I saw in the paper on Saturday that Ringo Starr is almost 70.  (If you don't know who Ringo is, then I pity you ...)  The headline to the newspaper article was "Still Rockin' it at 69".  The author must have been some young upstart of 25 or so, because the implication was that Ringo maybe shouldn't still be "rockin' it".  He was never my favourite Beatle, but looking at his laughing picture next to the story, bearded, multiple ear-rings, close cropped hair, I thought he looked great!

The reporter quotes him as saying that he'll have less angst about turning 70 than he did about turning 40. 'Forty was: "Oh God, 40!"'

I can relate to that.  Turning 40 was the hardest milestone for me too.  The rest were easy.  Last year I turned 60, and to celebrate I stopped colouring my hair, and now proudly sport a silver/grey mop of it.  (My husband has been grey for years and no-one asks him if he's going to colour his hair.)  Looking in the mirror these days I sometimes wonder where on earth those  sixty years went, but I don't dwell on it - what's the point?  Like Ringo, I laugh and get on with enjoying each day.

This is definitely the very BEST time, and I totally agree with the wonderful writer Ann Morrow Lindburgh ...

"At our age we can get rid of a lot of superficials.  Vanity for one thing ... We can relax in whatever is becoming and comfortable.  We don't have to be 'house-proud' and struggle over possessions ... Many of our duties to family, to town or country, have dropped.  We are freer now to do what we want.  We can choose our pleasures, without guilt, be ourselves without pretence ... "

No wonder the Red Hat Society ladies have so much fun - bring on the red hats and purple boas!

WARNING

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens . . .
                                                                          - Jenny Joseph

Bye until next time!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Nope, for me it was turning 50 which pulled me up sharply.
When I had my 40th birthday I was in such a state trying to keep track of my adulturous husband, little else seemed to matter. Certainly not a few grey hairs!
When, last year, Andrea said she thought I ought to be in a home, I suddenly felt years younger again but also outraged! However, when the time comes I will join the Red Hat Society!

MollyBee said...

For me, it was turning 30! Not because I thought it old, but my children kept telling me how OLD I was now that I was 30! Now I am 72 and feel younger than ever. I don't color my hair and I wear less makeup than I ever did. Lipstick and cheek blush and I am ready to go. I'm not quite ready for the Red Hats yet, but admire those who are. Sixty is definitely not old.

Life is Good!