Saturday, 27 February 2010

     How do extremely sensitive people keep themselves safe from the "slings and arrows" of the rest of the world?  When put into an unusually stressful situation they are often coached to use imagery to help them cope; to close their eyes and imagine a shield around them.  A clear shield which will allow their positive energy to flow out, but block any negative energy from entering.

     This morning I read that the inspirational skater, Joannie Rochette, was able to earn a bronze Olympic medal only days after suddenly losing her mother by mentally encasing herself into a block of ice.

      "It was as though I was trapped in a big block of ice, that's how I was able to confront the situation.  When I went on the ice, it's as though nothing could penetrate me."

     My bet is the team psychologist had a lot to do with this powerful imagery Joannie was able to use to protect herself.  Good for her for not caving in under her overwhelming loss, but instead arming herself with all that modern science has learned of the brain (thus far ... ) and pushing ahead with her dream.

     However, her mother's love definitely played a role ...

     "A great part of my mother's life was dedicated to me, and I will miss everything that she has done for me.  This medal belongs to both  of us."

     What a class act.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Pauline,
Further to my comment on your previous post, in the Court I imagined I was a different person and was watching the scene on a television. I was - sort of - on the outside looking in, if you see what I mean.
I am guessing that this is similar to that which you are talking about in this post.
All the best, Sue.

Pauline said...

Yes!! I know exactly what you mean Sue. Isn't the brain an amazing organ???? (So glad you were able to negotiate through that horrible time, that came at an equally horrible time!)

MollyBee said...

I totally agree, Joannie was amazing in how she was able to handle her loss and continue in the Olympics. I'm sure her Mom would have wanted her to skate to a Bronze medal. My heart went out to her.