Our son is marrying a wonderful young woman in 16 days, and we couldn't be happier. Actually, yes we could - maybe if they had eloped????
Weddings! What is it about them that brings out the worse in everyone involved? I suppose the stress of organizing a gigantic event for 140 people??? It's not something one does every day, and I suppose it's bound to cause some angst ...
Yes, I love my son, I love the woman he's chosen, I love that they will spend their lives together ... it's the PROCESS that has me tied up in knots!
Our own wedding 40 years ago, was such a low-key affair. Mostly planned by my sister-in-law, who was on site in Britain and could arrange things. Catered by my mother-in-law, reception at the local scout hall across the field from the tiny church, decorated by my father-in-law with flowers from their garden. It was simple, it was small, and it was lovely. Honeymoon in Scotland, then flight back to Canada. Done, married!
Is that why our marriage has lasted 40 years? Right from the beginning we had realistic expectations, a down-to-earth life style, were easily pleased? Do today's young couples place so much emphasis on the wrong things (material things?) that they set themselves up for failure? Was our marriage happier because we were very satisfied with second-hand furniture in the early years? When the babies crawled all over it with sticky fingers, spat up on it, diapers leaked on it, the dog chewed on it, the toddlers jumped on it - we didn't care for we hadn't paid a small ransom for it. Were we more content having just one car, and having to learn the give-and-take of sharing it?
I don't know the answers. But, my daughter's friend recently went to Italy for a vacation with her long-time boyfriend, and whilst there they got married! Surprised everyone! The families arranged a large celebration party upon their return, which was very much enjoyed, no-one's feelings were hurt, no stress ... and now the happy couple are getting on with their lives (bank account intact!) Sounds good to me!
But, I recognize that's not everyone's style. So, in just over 2 weeks, I will smile and sincerely wish my son and his lovely new wife a very long and happy married life together.
Weddings! What is it about them that brings out the worse in everyone involved? I suppose the stress of organizing a gigantic event for 140 people??? It's not something one does every day, and I suppose it's bound to cause some angst ...
Yes, I love my son, I love the woman he's chosen, I love that they will spend their lives together ... it's the PROCESS that has me tied up in knots!
Our own wedding 40 years ago, was such a low-key affair. Mostly planned by my sister-in-law, who was on site in Britain and could arrange things. Catered by my mother-in-law, reception at the local scout hall across the field from the tiny church, decorated by my father-in-law with flowers from their garden. It was simple, it was small, and it was lovely. Honeymoon in Scotland, then flight back to Canada. Done, married!
Is that why our marriage has lasted 40 years? Right from the beginning we had realistic expectations, a down-to-earth life style, were easily pleased? Do today's young couples place so much emphasis on the wrong things (material things?) that they set themselves up for failure? Was our marriage happier because we were very satisfied with second-hand furniture in the early years? When the babies crawled all over it with sticky fingers, spat up on it, diapers leaked on it, the dog chewed on it, the toddlers jumped on it - we didn't care for we hadn't paid a small ransom for it. Were we more content having just one car, and having to learn the give-and-take of sharing it?
I don't know the answers. But, my daughter's friend recently went to Italy for a vacation with her long-time boyfriend, and whilst there they got married! Surprised everyone! The families arranged a large celebration party upon their return, which was very much enjoyed, no-one's feelings were hurt, no stress ... and now the happy couple are getting on with their lives (bank account intact!) Sounds good to me!
But, I recognize that's not everyone's style. So, in just over 2 weeks, I will smile and sincerely wish my son and his lovely new wife a very long and happy married life together.

No comments:
Post a Comment