I spent four glorious weeks in Hungary the first summer of this millennium, as a volunteer English teacher. I was part of a group of Americans (and 2 other Canadians) who ran a summer camp in Nyiregyhaza for teenage students from all over Eastern Europe. It was a great experience, but the best part was meeting the very special Hungarian young man who helped to organize the camp.
Pal was very open in sharing his life with us, and I will always treasure the time we spent in his company, especially the evening he invited us to dinner at his parents home. His fabulous mother, speaking no English, admirably taught us how she cooked traditional Hungarian cabbage rolls, and the dinner she prepared for us was a true feast! His father introduced us to Unicum, a traditional Hungarian herbal digestif liqueur, produced according to a secret formula of more than forty herbs. (I still have the bottle of Unicum which I brought home with me.)
We met Pal's 2 adorable dalmatian dogs ... and it was obvious that these were more than just pets, they were his loving companions.
So, here's to Pal ... his parents ... to travel ... to unforgettable memories ... and to Coco.
Pal was very open in sharing his life with us, and I will always treasure the time we spent in his company, especially the evening he invited us to dinner at his parents home. His fabulous mother, speaking no English, admirably taught us how she cooked traditional Hungarian cabbage rolls, and the dinner she prepared for us was a true feast! His father introduced us to Unicum, a traditional Hungarian herbal digestif liqueur, produced according to a secret formula of more than forty herbs. (I still have the bottle of Unicum which I brought home with me.)
We met Pal's 2 adorable dalmatian dogs ... and it was obvious that these were more than just pets, they were his loving companions.
So, here's to Pal ... his parents ... to travel ... to unforgettable memories ... and to Coco.

No comments:
Post a Comment