Sunday, 14 March 2010

"Gorgeous Grannies" are in business!

If anyone remembers me musing on this blog a number of weeks ago about whether to jump into the Stephen Lewis 'Grandmothers to Grandmothers' organization or not, you may be interested to know that I leapt!!!  As of last Friday, The Gorgeous Grannies & Friends of North Gower are in business!

So far we are a small group of five - but we are mighty.  Watching a 16 minute video of the hardships of the African Grandmothers who are raising their grandchildren after they have been orphaned by AIDS, really brought home some of the realities of the problems there.  It is the grandmothers of Africa who are the unsung heros of the AIDS epidemic there, and the G2G organization spends the money raised on projects at the grassroots level.  Projects that will directly help the elderly women who are struggling with their load.  In some countries 40-60% of children live in grandmother headed households.

The G2G organization began in Toronto just 4 years ago this month, as a result of the realization of the heavy load these women were struggling with.  Already there are over 240 granny groups right across Canada who are fundraising, advocating and raising awareness for their counterparts in sub-Saharan Africa.  I think that is pretty cool.

I'm so proud to be part of them ... and I'm so very proud of Sara, Penny, Lynne and Donna for standing beside me!

For more information: http://www.grandmotherscampaign.org/campaign.html

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Great Leaping ! Congrats.

MollyBee said...

How wonderful! I am so proud of you for getting this started in your area. You go girl!

Pauline said...

Thanks Ladies. We are having an African Kazuri Jewelery house party in September as a fund raiser, and joining a cross-country walk in June (we're not walking across the country, all the groups participating are spread across the country!)

I'm having fun with this!!