Friday, 30 December 2011

Happy Skinny New Year!!

Well, we made it to the other side of Christmas (with a couple of Chanukah celebrations thrown in too) ... lots of fun family times.  But, now it's down to the business of New Year Resolutions.  I'm dieting folks!  Well, I will be as of Jan. 1st.  I'm joining the legions of people who start a diet on January 1st ... except I've never done so before, AND I'm going to stick to it until I reach my target weight of -40 lbs.

I've been totally inspired by my neighbour Jenn, who lost 25lbs easily and looks fantastic (my doctor kind of inspired me too, but in a different way)  So, if you have tired of reading here about our rascal pup, Oscar, let me reassure you that my blogs will now be full of how much weight I've lost (or, not lost, as the case may be :-)

The Dukan Diet is one of those high protein / low carb ones, very popular in France and the UK, but is new in N. America.  It appeals to me because it's very strict in what you can and cannot eat (and I'm a sucker for following rules - it's the "oldest child syndrome" in me) and the 4 phases mean once you reach your target weight you must still enter a 'Consolidation' phase because your body really wants to regain that lost weight.  So, for every pound lost you must stay in this phase for 5 days, meaning 200 days for me, during which you slowly re-introduce all the other foods, bringing me to the end of Oct.  Phew ...  (I did lose 35lbs on Atkins diet once, loved the diet and felt great the whole time, but gained all my weight back when I started eating "normally" again!) On the Dukan diet you finally enter the 'Permanent Stabilization' phase for the rest of your life. Hmmmmmm.

Oh, and did I mention the exercise - 30 mins. of walking daily? Oscar will make sure I stick to that part :-)

I'm going to need all the help I can get dear friends ... but, I'm determined!!!!!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Pauline. All the best with it. I shall be dieting too but not necessarily the Dukan diet.
May I wish you, Ray, Oscar and all your family a very happy, slim, healthy and prosperous 2012.

Love from Sue, Magnus & Kizzie x x x

Pauline said...

Thanks Sue. I wish you good dieting luck too ... plus,
a very happy, skinny new year! xo