'Tis the season for pet peeves. You know what I mean ... the crowds, the over-heated stores, the rush to get everything done, the worry of what to give kids who have EVERYTHING ... and so on. I love the 'day' when it finally arrives, but the lead-up? Forget it - even if I'm in good shape and all is done, I have a constant niggling feeling in my stomach that I 'should' be doing more - more baking, shopping, cooking etc. (I have a wonderful friend who is the total reverse - she adores decorating the house, choosing just the right gifts, wrapping them carefully, but is totally let-down when the day finally arrives.) Ain't life strange?
Anyway, one of my biggest pet peeves for the season, and it's the same every single year at this time, is Christmas cards. Everyone seems in a quandary these days over whether to continue this age-old custom, or revert to a chilly impersonal email greeting sent by a single click to the hundreds on your contact list. It's so tempting ... postage is ridiculous, cards take a long time to organize, write and mail, and does anyone really appreciate them?
Well, I do!! One of my biggest pleasures of this season is receiving Christmas cards from friends and family far away whom I rarely hear from the rest of the year. I LOVE the Christmas letters which others mock and call a 'mass-brag'. I want to know if Joe found the job of his dreams, or if daughter Nancy graduated University yet. I thrill to hear of the arrival of new grandchildren, or exciting trips taken during the year. Maybe I'm weird, but it feels like I'm then sharing a little of their lives - even if we're all too busy or distracted to communicate the rest of the year. It's a connection with past friends - people who have once touched our lives significantly, and for whom the affection we once felt is still there, tucked into a small corner of our hearts, and brought out and enjoyed once a year when awakened by seeing their handwriting and message.
So, here comes the peeve ... the message! What message????
Surely, if someone takes the time to buy a card, look up and copy out my address, pay for a stamp, and write my name on that card - can't they go just a little bit further and write a few words in addition to just signing their names???
I know, I know, it all takes time ... such a pity, such a lost chance to connect.
I have a friend from my secondary school days in England with whom I still exchange Christmas cards. Even thinking of her now makes me smile, I see her cheerful face in my mind and it brings back fond memories of our teenage school days, and early double-dating experiences. For 45 years we have exchanged cards. She has visited Canada, we have visited her and her husband, met her children - formed new bonds as adults. When I see her handwriting on the envelope every December I am thrilled she still remembers me. Longing to know how her life has evolved I excitedly rip open the envelope ... only to be met with the simple perennial signature. Nothing else. It tells me she is still alive and married to the same man. It conveys that she still remembers me. But, I yearn to know more!!! I have asked, I have pleaded, but, just a signature every year.
I have another friend from the same era of my life, whom I have also created adult bonds with, who ALWAYS writes: "Will send a letter soon" after her name - every single year! It's obviously well-meant, but year after year the letter never materializes.
I'm thrilled they still remember me, and hopefully as fondly as I remember them, and pleased to receive their cards every year - truly, I am, I hope they never stop. But, I wish they'd share more of themselves than just their name ...
Anyway, one of my biggest pet peeves for the season, and it's the same every single year at this time, is Christmas cards. Everyone seems in a quandary these days over whether to continue this age-old custom, or revert to a chilly impersonal email greeting sent by a single click to the hundreds on your contact list. It's so tempting ... postage is ridiculous, cards take a long time to organize, write and mail, and does anyone really appreciate them?
Well, I do!! One of my biggest pleasures of this season is receiving Christmas cards from friends and family far away whom I rarely hear from the rest of the year. I LOVE the Christmas letters which others mock and call a 'mass-brag'. I want to know if Joe found the job of his dreams, or if daughter Nancy graduated University yet. I thrill to hear of the arrival of new grandchildren, or exciting trips taken during the year. Maybe I'm weird, but it feels like I'm then sharing a little of their lives - even if we're all too busy or distracted to communicate the rest of the year. It's a connection with past friends - people who have once touched our lives significantly, and for whom the affection we once felt is still there, tucked into a small corner of our hearts, and brought out and enjoyed once a year when awakened by seeing their handwriting and message.
So, here comes the peeve ... the message! What message????
Surely, if someone takes the time to buy a card, look up and copy out my address, pay for a stamp, and write my name on that card - can't they go just a little bit further and write a few words in addition to just signing their names???
I know, I know, it all takes time ... such a pity, such a lost chance to connect.
I have a friend from my secondary school days in England with whom I still exchange Christmas cards. Even thinking of her now makes me smile, I see her cheerful face in my mind and it brings back fond memories of our teenage school days, and early double-dating experiences. For 45 years we have exchanged cards. She has visited Canada, we have visited her and her husband, met her children - formed new bonds as adults. When I see her handwriting on the envelope every December I am thrilled she still remembers me. Longing to know how her life has evolved I excitedly rip open the envelope ... only to be met with the simple perennial signature. Nothing else. It tells me she is still alive and married to the same man. It conveys that she still remembers me. But, I yearn to know more!!! I have asked, I have pleaded, but, just a signature every year.
I have another friend from the same era of my life, whom I have also created adult bonds with, who ALWAYS writes: "Will send a letter soon" after her name - every single year! It's obviously well-meant, but year after year the letter never materializes.
I'm thrilled they still remember me, and hopefully as fondly as I remember them, and pleased to receive their cards every year - truly, I am, I hope they never stop. But, I wish they'd share more of themselves than just their name ...
To all of my readers I Wish you Peace in your Hearts
and in your World
and in your World

3 comments:
This is what I tried to say and goofed it... here goes again
Peace on earth and goodwill to all men... the picture says it all.
I hate the hassle of the commercialism. But I love the cards and have often thought of stopping them. But if they mean as much to my family and friends as they do to me. It is worth the time, effort and postage, which you are right is sky high anymore. So I will continue to send Christmas cards.
Merry Christmas, Pauline.
Post a Comment