Monday, 16 May 2011

4 more sleeps ...

A very strange occurrence is taking place in our home. Ray and I are experiencing the same delight as we did over 30 years ago when we gave birth to our three children. It's true! The excitement is building daily, with the same stirring feeling that a huge life-change is about to happen (but thank goodness I don't have to go through childbirth again.)
Yes, Oscar arrives at the Field Home on Friday.

We've bought a new dog crate, a new little bed, assorted toys, new dog dishes (can't use Darcy's - it wouldn't be right) an assortment of things for him to chew on, treats, puppy leash and collar and balls.  Ray has created a small fenced grass area just off the back deck, and I am devouring Cesar Millan's book "How To Raise the Perfect Dog",  with Patricia McConnell's "The Other End of the Leash - Why we Do what we Do around Dogs" sitting beside my bed awaiting it's turn.

I think we're ready.

One would never believe that we have had dogs in our home continuously since 1984 ... but, this time it's different!  We have the time now to get excited, to savour the experience.  No half-grown children demanding our time (and money).  No full-time job to take us away from the home.

This little fellow will have our undivided attention ... hmmm, I wonder if that is a good thing?

The breeder is getting the pups gently used to a leash.


Oscar snoozing with his mighty dad.


Exploring with one of his brothers.





2 comments:

Sue said...

You don't mention food for the wee chap, in that list. Is he still on the scrambled egg and Weetabix thing or proper puppy food? I bet you are as excited as Hell and, I am excited for you both! I can't wait to see some photos.
JAN FENNELL is my dog guru. She calls herself the Dog Listener and works on the principle of body language, much like Monty Roberts, the horse whisperer. I don't know if you can get her books in Canada but Amazon should have them.
I credit her with the fact that Brodie is so well behaved nowadays.
Good luck! I will be thinking of you on Friday.

Pauline said...

Ah, food, right! Well, the breeder said she is going to give us a bag of the puppy chow she has been feeding the litter, so we'll use that to start with.

Haven't heard of Jan Fennell, but will certainly google her and add her to my list of gurus! Thanks.