Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Pune - A Glimpse at How the Other Side of India Lives!

Rajasthan is primarily a state of farmers, and we met mostly the poorer people of India, experiencing little evidence of India's place as an emerging major world power with regard to it's economy and huge technologically educated work force.  However, these four days spent in the major modern city of Pune, in the wonderful company of successful business owner Suri, and his physician wife, Vinny, have given us an eye to a completely different India.

We were so lucky when Suri negotiated a very favourable rate for us in one of Pune's premier 5 star hotels - oh, what luxury!!!  We felt (and were treated) like the Maharaja's we have been reading about all through Rajasthan!!  A great treat!

Suri had a full itinerary for us, and we started at the Osho International Meditation Retreat Centre. Google Osho and you'll see he was quite a controversial Guru in the 80's and 90's, yet seeing the hundreds of Western men and women who flocked to  the Centre each morning dressed in their long saffron day-robes (white for evening wear) his ideas and classes are as popular as ever with people seeking a new way to handle the stress in their lives and find a gentler way to live.  The Centre offers many different types of meditation sessions, yogas and therapies ... visitors are not allowed to wander into the Centre, but whilst in their bookstore I spied through the great glass windows a large group of red-robed participants swirling about under the trees, moving freely to music - they sure looked happy!

A visit of a different sort was to the place where Gandhi was imprisoned by the British during WW2, and where his wife subsequently died.  I would like to research and read more about his wife when I return, as apparently she was a very strong woman in her own right.  The British allowed Gandhi to visit her at this palace where she was imprisoned, and he was with her when she died.  Her ashes are entombed in a lovely Memorial Garden at the Palace.

Lunch that day was taken at Suri's Club.  This was an extremely opulent place, and reminded me of the exclusive men's clubs in England (except more modern architecture).  The service and attendance was very over-the-top, (but I think we were the only ones to feel this) and the food was excellent!

That evening we four went to an open air concert which was billed as showing how Indian and western instruments can compliment each other.  It was a delightful concert starting with a popular young singer from an eastern part of India singing traditional folk tunes with a modern twist.  Then, a rather famous Spanish classical guitarist took stage with his Indian counterpart on the sitar, and another man who was most proficient on the small Indian drums.  The Spaniard had just flown in from Europe the night before, and the musicians had only had 5 mins. to practice, but the sounds they created blended most melodically.  I looked around at the audience and was treated to quite an array of very smart classical Indian dress - indeed it was a study in eastern fashion, and judging by the interest shown by the photographers in the audience, a bit of a collection of 'Who's Who' in Pune (I felt rather shabby in my many-times-packed-and-unpacked travel clothes!)

Discussions with our two intelligent friends were a highlight to our trip ... we covered many subjects from arranged marriages to India's politics, from India's poor to Indian immigrants abroad.  It was a great opportunity to discuss and clarify our ideas based on our observations of India thus far.  They are a very modern worldly couple who have travelled extensively both within India and outside, and their open minds and excellent English provided some memorable times spent in their company.

Who would have thought that an email contact 5 years ago on an International epal site would have led to such a wonderful friendship??

I haven't even mentioned the great shopping trip Vinny and I engaged in - I finally bought the Indian silk fabric that I have been looking for throughout India!  (Hopefully, to be made into a dress for Mike and Alexandra's wedding in July) - Vinny helped me pick out a lovely silk shawl to match also!!

Now, we are flying down the coastline to Goa, and there we hope to eat lots of
"fish curry 'n rice" and relax for 4 days before the grueling flights home from Mumbai.

To be continued ...

P.S.  I haven't counted exactly how many photographs I have taken in India, and I wish I could share some on this site, but unfortunately my little net book which I'm travelling with won't let me.  It's most infuriating, but rest assured (those who are asking for pics.) as soon as we're home and I'm back on my main laptop they will be posted in spades!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Pauline, sounds like a perfect day. I remember you and your epals! You certainly have developed interesting friendships. Enjoy, I can't wait to see you pictures. Joya and I are inviting ourselves down for dinner to see them in April! Karen

Pauline said...

Thanks Karen ... April for dinner is a definite date, will love to see you both! Maybe I'll even have the many, many pics organized by then!!