It's Valentine's Day, but my heart is still in India.
I have a mountain of washing to do, but my head is still in India.
I have souvenirs all over my bedroom floor - but I can't hide them away as it would feel like turning my back on India.
My dog needs walking, but my body yearns for the heat of India.
I've been home 2 days - but I was there for 26 days ...
I have a mountain of washing to do, but my head is still in India.
I have souvenirs all over my bedroom floor - but I can't hide them away as it would feel like turning my back on India.
My dog needs walking, but my body yearns for the heat of India.
I've been home 2 days - but I was there for 26 days ...
So, I'm playing with my photographs again. More from Nawalgarh, and these show some of the murals painted on the rich merchants' havelis (homes) outside and inside walls around 150-200 years ago. The merchants built huge havelis with such elaborate murals to indicate their wealth. Later, when the trade routes moved further east to Calcutta, so did the merchants, and most of these mansions are now abandoned. It's such a pity that rain and time are erasing the pictures and designs, with few people or governments bothering to restore the outstanding work.
Everywhere we went in India we saw kite flying, but nowhere more than in Rajasthan. The boys flew them from their flat roof tops, and the surrounding trees and electricity wires contain the remains from 'kite wars' played out high above the street. It reminded me of the great book "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. That story was set in Afghanistan, but the passion for kites was just as alive in India.
The murals were wonderful to look at, but for me the streets held the most interest. Nawalgarh is a small town in Rajasthan's northern region, and as you can see from these street scenes, it's like walking back into the past. I spent hours just wandering them with my camera, and here are just a few ... I loved the way many of the men use their toes to help with their work. (These shoes are all made from camel hide, of course.)
The streets contain such life.
Our guide at the havelis pointed out the swastika sign which we saw beside the doors of each home:
and he told us that this sign (which most people in the west think only applies to Hitler's Nazi's) dates back to ancient times, and for Hindus it is the symbol of the Hindu deity Vishnu. After this we looked for the sign, and large or small it was posted on almost every home doorway throughout India, ensuring the residents good luck and happiness.
Finally, this is Kalpana, who was our fabulous hostess at the eco-tourist B&B she created, owned and ran in Nawalgarh. She was a vegetarian cook extraordinaire. (As well as a thoroughly wonderful person!) Her type of dress indicates she is of Brahman caste.
More to follow ...

No comments:
Post a Comment