Friday, 3 December 2010

Pleasures ...

One of the beauties of my time of life is the TIME to do whatever one wants. However, first you have to dispose of the guilt gremlin, which insists on sitting on your shoulder and whispering in your ear. Old habits are hard to break ... those of us who have spent most of our lives fulfilling other's needs find it hard to actually think of ourselves first for a change. But, once he's gone (for it must be male!) then you can sort out what makes your soul sing and indulge in it.

I have found many things which give me great happiness, and writing tops the list (with gardening, photography, and travelling close seconds!) My weekly writing class is 2 hours which I hate to miss. None of us are brilliant, but many are very good, and some have even been published. But, it's the camaraderie and support which makes our group of ten so very special. A mix of ages and backgrounds, with both males and females, we are led by a wonderful lady who challenges us each week with different writing assignments. I think of us actually as a mutual admiration society ... since we come each week and read what we've written to rounds of applause and exclamations of delight from the other members. Now, who could resist that?

I still have trouble some days banishing the guilt gremlin so that I can indulge in my passion, therefore, when I heard this little poem from a member of a different writing class I immediately loved it. In fact I have it taped on the wall above my writing desk. (You can replace the word 'writing' by any passion you want!)


I’m Writing

The kitchen floor needs waxing,
My dining room’s a mess,
The basement lacks attention,
But, I could not care less.
I’m writing.

The gravel path needs weeding,
Plums are falling from the tree,
The lawn is growing toadstools,
But, that’s OK with me.
I’m writing.

I badly need a haircut,
The pile of bills grows high,
The telephone keeps ringing,
But, you don’t hear me sigh.
I’m writing.

B. Salvin 2010

1 comment:

MollyBee said...

I love the poem. You are so right about getting rid of the guilt. But at my age, I have learned to enjoy life doing what pleases me the most.
For me it is poetry, photography, and writing my blog. Of course, there are other goodies, such as reading, crocheting, etc. I could go on and on. My point is....enjoy life doing what you enjoy!