Tuesday, 28 December 2010

Just 3 Weeks to Go!!!

The most important thing first ... it is 3 weeks today that we leave for India!!! Do I sound excited? I should, because I am - very!! It's count-down time, and list-making time, and 'let's get serious about what clothes to take' time. My daughter, who travelled northern India last year with a back-pack, is trying to get me to lower my expectations ... "Mum, it's smelly, noisy and you tread in poop all the time!" Hmmmmm, she's not putting me off. I tell her that we will travel differently, we have a car and driver whilst travelling around Rajasthan - whereas she and boyfriend of the moment did it on a shoestring. They stayed in the cheapest places, ate at food stalls and travelled by train 4th class!

But, it's OK, she's not going to dampen my spirits, I've done my reading and I am prepared for an entirely different culture experience, and if I do tread in poop I'll simply wipe it off and carry on - isn't that what life is all about? My rose-coloured glasses are firmly in place and I welcome everything that comes!

On another note, daughter, hubby and I went to the movies last night - a pretty rare event for us, but we wanted to see the new movie "The King's Speech" wondering if it lived up to all the hype. Well, I can honestly and truly advise you to run, don't walk, to see this fantastic film!!! Colin Firth hit the nail on the head with his portrayal of poor King George VI and his dreadful stutter, but for my money it was Geoffrey Rush who stole the show as the Aussie speech therapist who stubbornly persisted with 'Bertie' to allow him to fulfill his kingly speaking duties. Great stuff! At the end of the movie the whole audience spontaneously burst into applause - have only ever heard that once before! I thoroughly agree with one movie critic who wrote:

"The King's Speech is anything but a stiff-upper-lip drama as constrained as a corseted queen. It is, however, perfect film fodder for discerning audiences starved for literate entertainment."

(It's also about time a light was shone on the terrible impediment of stuttering. As with other inflictions, bringing it out of the closet, talking about it, and demonstrating that stuttering CAN be helped will hopefully begin to broaden understanding, tolerance, and encourage those who suffer to seek the help they need.)

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and PEACEFUL 2011.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Got EAT Pray Love for Christmas thought about you and your adventure ... 3 weeks !!!

Happy New Year...2011 a life long dream WOW !!!!!

Pauline said...

Oh Cheryl, you'll love that book ... and yes I must say the India section really spoke to me! ;-) After you've read it see the movie, it'll probably be out in video soon.