
It’s damp and rainy today. A day which many people say is best spent in bed. But rainy days don’t affect me like that. I like them! I especially enjoy the way they put no demands on me. On days like this I am free to choose my own mood.
When the weather is warm and sunny people tend to walk around with a spring in their step and a smile on their face, and expect the world to feel the same, they shout out at strangers, “Isn’t it a wonderful day?” I wonder what would happened if I replied, “No, actually, I don’t think it is!”
Being worried, distressed or depressed on a sunny day feels three times as bad. It’s like being alone at Christmas. Even if it’s your choice, your preferred state, it feels wrong, out of sync with the world.
Likewise with a bright fresh day – you are not supposed to feel down or listless. There are windows to be washed, weeds to be weeded, grass to be cut. Everyone and their dog is outside enjoying this ‘beautiful’ day. Except you … because you don’t have the energy or ambition to get off the couch, let alone lift a rake. On days like that it feels like a giant magnifying glass is being held up to your mood, and it is found wanting.
No, give me a rainy day. All the energizer bunnies are then safely inside their own little boxes, where I can’t see them, and probably feeling sorry for themselves because their boisterous activities are being curtailed by the weather. Good job they don’t live in rainy old England – if you stayed inside there when it rains you’d never see the light of day!
An old friend, who happens to be an Anglican minister, once told me that his parishioners were always telling him that he should smile more often. It’s true that his face, at rest, has a rather curmudgeon look to it, and he has a shaggy grizzly beard which hides many of his features. However, to me, it is the kind of face that a person can feel comfortable with – rather like an old comfy chair. He said he doesn’t trust people who smile all the time and I think I firmly agree with him!
3 comments:
Hi Pauline.
If you enjoy rainy days you would be in Heaven here in Scotland!!
I have to disagree with you a little bit on this one. Last Friday (Good Friday) was just the most perfect day. It was warm but not too hot, there was hardly any wind, the sun shone all day as there was not a cloud in the sky...and I loved it! It lifted my mood 100%., put a spring in my step, and I spent the day just sitting in the garden reading a book. I didn't have the slightest inclination to do the gardening! I did vacuum out the car though as it was getting bad and full of mud where my feet go and in the back bit where Brodie goes and I left it parked out in the driveway with all the doors and the tailgate open to get rid of the smell of wet Labrador!
On lovely days like that, I do laundry as I love the smell of line dried clothes, sheets etc., this lifts my mood a further 100%.
It couldn't last of course, not here so it was valued because of it's rarity.
Do you still walk out, even in the rain?
Loads of love, Sue.
What you say has a lot of merit Sue, and I'm sure if I lived where it rains more than the sun shines I'd feel exactly like you do!
Yes, still walking ... and the 5km doesn't require two hours of recovery after anymore - maybe just half hour :-) So, making progress. Walked it in the rain this morning actually!
I, too, feel rainy days put no pressure on me and I do love them as well. It seems I get a lot of things done on days like that, but I don't feel pushed to do them.
Post a Comment