Tuesday, 27 April 2010


Isn't it wonderful when you come across something someone has written that reflects exactly how you feel - and they were able to choose just the right words to express it?

This spring I have dug up and created a large new garden in the front of our house, and I cannot tell you how much joy and excitement I have had planning it, scouring various gardening books deciding on just the right perennials and flowering shrubs to plant there.

However, this past week I have spent many hours each day sitting at my elderly mother's bedside in the hospital, and as she dozed I lifted my spirits away from the smells and sounds of hospital life by browsing a gardening book by a particular favourite of mine. Steve Whysall is a gardener and journalist who lives in British Columbia, and he writes various newspaper gardening columns and gardening books.

In his book "100 Best Plants for the Ontario Garden" he wrote:

"If gardening is about anything, it is about knowing and valuing the inherent power of nature to overcome winter and bounce back to life."

It's almost worth living through 4 months of snow each year to experience the overwhelming happiness I feel when I see the 90 daffodils I planted last fall with the grand kids, popping their heads up through the still cold soil. Yea, they survived! Or, watching the blossom on our new pear tree (that we thought had died) swelling by the day.

Thank you Steve Whysall for taking me away from a sad reality of my life, even for just a little while.

Such is the power of a few well-chosen words.

3 comments:

MollyBee said...

I could not have said it better myself. I love watching nature come to life each spring. It is such an amazing miracle of nature. I have some Moss Rose just barely sprouting from seed. I am so happy over them. They are multi-colored and look like tiny roses in bloom.

Pauline said...

I love moss roses ... clever you!

Anonymous said...

Hello Pauline,

Thank you for your kind words. I didn't think anyone had that book anymore. What a thrill to get your email and think someone is reading it. I like your blog, too. I wonder if you have ever visited my blog at
http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/inthegarden/default.aspx
Also, I am on Twitter and I always "tweat" new blog posts.
Thanks again for making my day.

Always success,

Steve