Does anyone else have a problem remembering all the different security codes we need to use these days??? I'm extremely bad and do what I've been told I'm NOT to do, and use the same series of numbers and letters for just about everything (hackers/forgers etc. forget it, I have no money, so move onto someone else!) Anyway, we recently received a new credit card which has one of those ultra, super-duper security chips in it, so instead of just swiping I must now punch in yet another series of numbers to use it. My husband set it up, and for the life of me I cannot remember the numbers he chose! Apparently, writing them down and hiding them in my purse is a complete no-no, so, he gave me a verbal clue to remember them.
An hour ago I was out buying a rather delicious bottle of wine (my favourite kind of errand.) At the check-out I tentatively put my charge card in the machine, thought of the verbal clue hubby had provided me, and confidently punched in the required numbers. It told me I had made a mistake. So, I took my time and did it again, slowly - again I was reprimanded by the machine - wrong security code. It told me I had one last chance to get it right - seriously, the tiny machine actually chastised me!! (Luckily, the sales clerk was a lady of advanced years and unlimited patience, and had probably seen this many times, she smiled sympathetically at me.) The 3rd try was also rejected. Now, this was getting very embarrassing as I had no cash to pay for the wine. So, I reluctantly removed my card from the feisty little machine and replaced it with my debit card. As soon as I saw my debit card I realized what I had done - yup, I had punched in my debit card code for the charge card code. The sales clerk was as happy as I was when it was accepted and I high-tailed it out of there asap!!
Did I ever tell you how much I hate numbers??? I loath them, they make my head go dizzy, I can't remember them, they confuse me ... I even had to take my math GCE exam twice!!! (Thank heavens I'm married to an engineer!!)

Until next time, bye for now.
7 comments:
Hey, Pauline. Very funny, mainly because I can relate to it. I was at a grocery store and didn't HAVE my credit card.(and no money) The clerk was very nice, put my cold stuff in the cooler while I ran home and got my credit card. I only lived 19 minutes away. I was SO embarrassed. But at least I didn't have a machine that chastised me.
Those machines have a special way of putting you in your place, don't they? I love our GPS, the female voice gets really perturbed when I don't follow her instructions, she says in a disgusted voice, "Recalculating!!!!"
Welcome back, I checked this only a few days ago!
I am the same with numbers. I find my car registration number is a useful one as I can remember that! Failing that, old telephone numbers are handy.
Regarding the GPS voice, I have 'Ken' the Australian. He just sounds SO sexy!
I also have trouble remembering codes, passwords, etc and I have figured out a system that works for me and my senile mind. Now that I have a garage, guess what....another password to remember.
I must get me a GPS, preferable the one with "Ken, the Australian.
Yes, I want Ken too, he sounds a lot more fun!! ;-) Where do we find him Sue???
Do you remember the wrestler Mr.T.? My son had him on his GPS for a while, if you went the wrong way Mr. T's voice yelled at you, "What you doin' boy???" (He got tired of it after a while)
'Ken' the Australian is one of the voices on a TomTom sat nav. Much better than the snooty English ones.
He says such as "Tern royt in 300 yerds" LOL !!!
BTW. TomTom is the ONLY sat nav to have. Not for nothing are they the brand leader.
Post a Comment