Now that we live in Canada's capital, and feeling very grateful for having all this culture on our doorstep, I purchased theatre season's tickets last fall for Ray and I to see 5 plays at the National Arts Centre. (Ottawa has as many theatres as some cities have pubs and there are lots of choices, but we thought we'd start at the top and work our way down.)
Are season's tickets ever a good buy????
I'm struggling with that. The pros are obvious. Buy the tickets, save money (usually getting 5 plays, or more, for the price of 4), often get priority seats, you write the dates on the calendar, put the tickets in a safe place, and there you have it - a season of entertainment and you can then forget all about it until your designated theatre night.
However, the cons are beginning to surface for us. First, you only save money if you actually attend all plays, and although most theatres allow you to swap nights, it often involves driving downtown to the box office and physically switching tickets for another date. Sometimes you have a choice of plays, but in our case at the NAC it came as a package of 5, and you must be open-minded and take your chances that it will be something you will enjoy (or, as in some cases, at least understand!)
Which brings me to last night.
Ray and I attended out 3rd play of the season, it was called "Mother Courage and her Children". It featured a woman during the 17th century pulling her cart and three grown children around Europe following the waring armies (either side, she wasn't fussy) selling everyday items and alcohol to the soldiers. A tinker of sorts, but always profiting from the war. Whilst set in the Thirty Years War, it is the story of war everywhere and at all times. It was stark, raw and bleak. It was also very long! The director used a modern stage setting consisting of six pianos which were occasionally played, but generally turned around and their backs provided stage divisions. I spent a good part of the first half wondering about the piano's significance. (Why choose pianos? Is it as a contrast to the harshness of war, since pianos often bring joy?) I had to agree with one comment I overheard as we filed out for a much needed break during Intermission, "This is arduous!" Indeed it was. Many must have thought so, as the theatre (only half full to begin with) had an even smaller audience after Intermission. We drove home after the play in a rather dour mood, trying to make sense of all the plays' symbols and wondering if we are stupid, or was the play just too obscure. Whatever, it definitely was NOT one we'd freely pick.
Returning to the topic of season's tickets - we were not able to attend the 2nd play of the season because my husband had just had surgery, so gave the tickets to family members. That leaves us with two plays left, (I have to admit that the first of the season was fabulous!!)
Hmmm, are season's tickets ever worth it???
Bye for now ...

3 comments:
The play Mother Courage... by Brecht was compulsory material in secondary school here. I don't remember much of it but it was very sad. The pianos are indeed strange additions on the battlefield...
Is Brecht Hungarian?? Poor you having to study it in high school ... very sad play, but I can see how there could be lots of classroom discussion after reading it.
It doesn't appear Season Tickets is a good way to go. Much less not have a choice of plays. Better luck with the next ones.
Post a Comment