My dog has to go to the vet tomorrow to have a tooth pulled. Now, I love my dog, and I sometimes wonder if vets don't play on that love. 'Darcy' has an abscess on a tooth, (apparently) and the swelling on her face was what prompted the vet's visit today. She didn't seem to be in any pain, and I'm ashamed to admit that the lump has been there for some time, but even though family funds are short right now, my husband felt she ought to be seen. (Note I'm blaming my husband for this one.)
The vet examined her teeth (as much as Darcy would let him), felt around the lump and pronounced that it was "probably an abscess caused by a broken tooth. That will be $96 please." (Well, he didn't actually say the last bit, but his receptionist was quick to add it.) I think the few generic anti-biotic tablets he gave us for her were included in that price. $96 for a ten minute visit. Why, that's $576 an hour - I doubt if my own family doctor makes anything close to that much!
Tomorrow she'll have the tooth pulled at a cost of over $700.
Friends of ours have a 14 year old dog who pulled a tendon in his leg before Christmas. The dog is recovering fairly well, but has a limp and can't walk as far as he used to - well, he is 98 in people years after all, I don't suppose many 98 year olds can walk too far. However, this couple is paying over $4,000 for an operation on the dog's leg to help him walk better - and there's no guarantees!
Has the world gone mad? Have I gone mad?
Would people in Haiti think us mad?
7 comments:
I always thought there was a limit to what I would spend on my dog. After all, they are animals. But after having my own last dog and claiming rights to my daughter's little dog, I am now beginning to question if I truly do have a limit.
I think not.
Brodie had several lower front teeth pulled last year and he is much better for it. His breath was like a sewer and that is greatly improved as well.
Do you have veterinary insurance? I sometimes resent paying the premiums until something awful happens. His recent bill to have fatty lumps removed came to nearly £600 (sorry -don't know what that is in $) and Inky's bill last July when she had to be put to sleep was an eye watering £3,000.
However, I think it is all worth it as they are totally loyal, loving companions without whom I would be utterly lost. I love my pets almost as much as my children although pets are easier to replace. I don't think I have got it wrong either. My pets give me a lot less angst than my children!!
I am sure Darcy will come through OK. Treat him as a child when he comes back from the surgery. Loads of mushy food and cuddles and don't worry about the bill! Just think how ghastly it would be without him.
Thanks for that sobering down-to-earth reminder Sue. Yes, I would be lost without our dogs, and luckily she has been very healthy over the years and hasn't cost us much.
She actually ended up having 2 teeth pulled yesterday, and the doc told Ray they were pretty infected - so I guess it was necessary. I just question the price they charge!!!
Sorry Pauline, I forget that she is a 'she'.
Glad she came through it OK though.
They are people themselves - I couldn't live without mine, but $700 for a tooth pull, I couldn't believe that!! Looks like I will be shopping around for a good pet plan insurance when I [eventually] get there! How's Darcy? She must be really old in people years...?
Or buying some dentistry tools on ebay...........
Actually, I think we may have been shafted on the dentistry bill. A couple of neighbours who read my blog asked which vet we'd used!!! They've suggested another one to us ... live and learn, eh?? (So, don't buy those tools just yet!)
Yes, Darcy will be 14 this year, but is still really fit and active!
Post a Comment