This past weekend June Callwood died. She was 82, had cancer and was ready to go, but oh what a loss for us all not to have her soul amongst us.
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-69-1393/life_society/june_callwood/ If you've never heard of June, just click on this link and find out a little about why she was so revered.
I remember her when I was a new mum in the 70's, she had a talk show in the afternoon on the CBC television ... I was struggling with all the normal things new mums struggle with ... and I felt overwhelmed with this huge burden I was carrying - I wanted to be the BEST mum I could. I remember one afternoon she was talking about all the mistakes we make on our first babies. For me, at that time, it was wonderful to hear that other people made mistakes too .... then she said "I really think that your first baby should be a disposable baby for we are really just learning with them!" At first I was shocked, but then a wonderful feeling of freedom and a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders ... others make mistakes too!!! 30 some years later, I can still remember that day
That little incident was so minor in her wonderful journey through life - but, for me it was huge. What a legacy to leave behind you - I wonder how many other people have moments when June Callwood's honestly, humanity, and just plain kindness influenced them. I watched her last interview on TV, and the young reporter asked her if she believed in God, June's answer was so typical of her, she merely smiled quietly at him and said "I believe in kindness."
Enough said, we have lost a very special soul ....
2 comments:
After reading this posting about June Callwood, I was prompted to follow the link and learn more about her. I had heard of her, but I have to admit I knew little about her. What a fascinating lady! Then my May Chatelaine magazine arrived, and there is a picture of her as Ms. Chatelaine, a woman of style and substance. Obviously, the magazine was printed before her death. The magazine also contains a tribute to another Canadian female journalist of some influence, Doris Anderson. Again, I was not familiar with her, and I don't think I read Chatelaine in the 60s & 70s when she was its editor, but she certainly was a lady ahead of her time. As the article says, "she was promoting a women's revolution right in the heart of Maclean Hunter's deeply conservative publishing empire".
I don't think you are alone in not knowing much about June Callwood ... after my first encounter with her on the TV show I mentioned, I watched for her the rest of her life - and what a life it was!! She wasn't perfect, she had the same frailties of us all, but she was one determined lady, and could NEVER turn her back when she saw any injustice ... and oh, she was SO brutally honest!!! A great lady indeed.
Post a Comment