You know how sometimes you think you've heard it all? Then, along comes something that knocks you sideways and you realize you still have a lot to learn about this old world and many of the funny people in it?
Well, I felt like that this morning upon returning from a lovely sunny walk with Oscar. (What a sweet walker he is since we started using a pinch collar on him - I know many people don't like them, but on our breeders suggestion we gave it a try, and it's magic! He doesn't pull, sits when we stop, and our daily walks are now a real pleasure for both of us! She calls is doggy power-steering.)
Anyway, with a pleasantly tired Oscar at my feet, cup of coffee in hand, I perused the morning newspaper. Same old stuff ... until I saw the headline: "Who let the dogs in the yoga class?" Reading on I discovered that a Florida-based (of course!) instructor has been teaching doga to man, woman and beast since 2002. She's quoted as saying, "When you feel good, they feel good, they want to be around your goodness."
Can't argue with that. Oscar and I both felt very good after our morning walk. So, I read on to find out just exactly HOW she got these dogs into the yoga poses (my imagination was working over-load on this one!)
Yoga, as we all know, is a 5,000 year-old practice which co-ordinates movement with breath. But, this instructor is giving no secrets away to the journalist. Seems you have to pay for one of her courses if you want to experience it. No picture accompanied the article either - hmmmm. My guess was that the dog just sits beside you whilst you twist, turn and breathe.
So, I took this further and did a google search for images of doga. This what I found:
Seems that YOU do the pose and hold the dog whilst you're in it (and don't forget to breathe!) Observe the stressed look on these women's faces? The poor King Charles Spaniel doesn't look very calm and happy either!
Well, I felt like that this morning upon returning from a lovely sunny walk with Oscar. (What a sweet walker he is since we started using a pinch collar on him - I know many people don't like them, but on our breeders suggestion we gave it a try, and it's magic! He doesn't pull, sits when we stop, and our daily walks are now a real pleasure for both of us! She calls is doggy power-steering.)
Anyway, with a pleasantly tired Oscar at my feet, cup of coffee in hand, I perused the morning newspaper. Same old stuff ... until I saw the headline: "Who let the dogs in the yoga class?" Reading on I discovered that a Florida-based (of course!) instructor has been teaching doga to man, woman and beast since 2002. She's quoted as saying, "When you feel good, they feel good, they want to be around your goodness."
Can't argue with that. Oscar and I both felt very good after our morning walk. So, I read on to find out just exactly HOW she got these dogs into the yoga poses (my imagination was working over-load on this one!)
Yoga, as we all know, is a 5,000 year-old practice which co-ordinates movement with breath. But, this instructor is giving no secrets away to the journalist. Seems you have to pay for one of her courses if you want to experience it. No picture accompanied the article either - hmmmm. My guess was that the dog just sits beside you whilst you twist, turn and breathe.
So, I took this further and did a google search for images of doga. This what I found:
Seems that YOU do the pose and hold the dog whilst you're in it (and don't forget to breathe!) Observe the stressed look on these women's faces? The poor King Charles Spaniel doesn't look very calm and happy either!
Hmmmm, methinks someone is trying to cash in on a quick buck. According to this instructor, "It definitely works with cats."
Now, that I'd really like to see.



No comments:
Post a Comment