Monday, 4 July 2011

A Very Hot Walk

Oscar has finally had all his booster shots, so we can start taking him out for long walks, which we did yesterday afternoon.  Too bad it was a very sunny 29c, and being a black dog Oscar heats up fast.  What were we thinking?  Just couldn't wait to get him out with the big guys, unfortunately the big guys were all back in their cool air-conditioned homes.

The only dog we saw was across some very rapidly flowing water - but that didn't stop our little fellow trying to pop over for a play-date. (Thank goodness for strong leashes.)

I think the part of the trip he enjoyed the best was when we all flopped down in the shady cool grass.


It was a slow walk home along the hot trail - trying to dodge all the sunny spots.


2 comments:

Sue Callcutt said...

He is just SO adorable!
On a serious note, be careful with him for the first 18 months or so with long walks as you can be causing him joint problems in later life. Short but frequent walks are better than one long one. That is the advice I was given when I first got Brodie which I adhered to but he STILL got arthritis :(

Pauline said...

Thanks for your concern Sue. Arthritis is the curse of bigger dogs like labs, isn't it, not sure many escape it in old age (a bit like us :-) Our Sunday walk wasn't so long (although it seemed like it, at times!) we drove to the river and walked along it for a way. Our breeder actually gave us the same advice as you shared - I guess we just have to do what we can with these little guys.

But, oh, we are sooooo enjoying him!!!