Dear Mother,
Yesterday marked 45 years since we arrived in Canada, a very long time ago, yet in some ways it feels like yesterday. Arriving in Toronto to a humid 91 degree heatwave, and everything closed for the Canada Day holiday. Our stifling little hotel room, into which the four of us were crammed, no clean clothes (as they had not arrived yet) and us all feeling disorientated and dazed, wondering what on earth we had done!
So, I paid a special visit to you, and at 11am found you fast asleep in bed - it was one of your 'sleeping days'. But, there was a parade assembling in the Home's parking lot with a marching pipe and drum band, and I knew you'd enjoy it. So, even though you resisted, we got you up, into your wheelchair, and out to greet the day.
Now, aren't you glad I did that? We got there just as the band was getting ready to start playing, and how you loved it! I walked you along the sidewalk keeping up with the band so you could hear and watch them longer. Your eyes were bright, you wore a smile, and you delighted everyone as you conducted the music with your waving flag. You were a star mum.
Afterwards, you kept saying, "Oh, I did enjoy that!"
But, you fell asleep again in your chair when I went into the cafe to get your favourite hot chocolate ... I guess it was all too much for you.
Later, I tried to talk to you about that Canada Day 45 years ago - you are the only one left now who experienced it with me - but it wasn't a good 'memory day' for you. Maybe, some other time.
Happy Canada Day Mother.
Yesterday marked 45 years since we arrived in Canada, a very long time ago, yet in some ways it feels like yesterday. Arriving in Toronto to a humid 91 degree heatwave, and everything closed for the Canada Day holiday. Our stifling little hotel room, into which the four of us were crammed, no clean clothes (as they had not arrived yet) and us all feeling disorientated and dazed, wondering what on earth we had done!
So, I paid a special visit to you, and at 11am found you fast asleep in bed - it was one of your 'sleeping days'. But, there was a parade assembling in the Home's parking lot with a marching pipe and drum band, and I knew you'd enjoy it. So, even though you resisted, we got you up, into your wheelchair, and out to greet the day.
Now, aren't you glad I did that? We got there just as the band was getting ready to start playing, and how you loved it! I walked you along the sidewalk keeping up with the band so you could hear and watch them longer. Your eyes were bright, you wore a smile, and you delighted everyone as you conducted the music with your waving flag. You were a star mum.
Afterwards, you kept saying, "Oh, I did enjoy that!"
But, you fell asleep again in your chair when I went into the cafe to get your favourite hot chocolate ... I guess it was all too much for you.
Later, I tried to talk to you about that Canada Day 45 years ago - you are the only one left now who experienced it with me - but it wasn't a good 'memory day' for you. Maybe, some other time.
Happy Canada Day Mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment