A while ago, I was extremely lucky to find myself for a few years within the orbit of an extraordinary man named Glenn Copeland. Glenn is a multi-talented singer, composer and performer who has recorded over 7 albums. His latest is called "Primal Prayer" http://www.songcycles.com/index.html
Glenn has been a practising Buddhist for over 35 years, and he truly lives his
faith. His compassion towards others knows no bounds, and I feel blessed to know him.
During our time together, our little group had to illustrate one of the Buddhist principles at a large group meeting. We chose the subject of 'attitude'. Our mentor, Daisaku Ikeda, said:
"Change begins from the moment you muster the courage to act. When you change, the environment will change. The power to change the world is found nowhere but within our own life. Everything is determined by our attitude, by our resolve. Our heart is what matters most."
So, to illustrate this thought, Glenn wrote a little rap for us to perform - and believe me, we are NOT rappers!! But, it was a hoot ... we had fun performing it, and I think it got the message across in a lighthearted way.
Next weekend I am participating in a women's retreat, and our group of 5 from Ottawa must "perform" something on the Saturday night. At our pre-retreat briefing last week, we all racked our brains for an idea, when I suddenly remembered the rap. But, could I remember the words? Of course not! (I am surprised I even remembered we did it!) So, I fired off emails to Glenn and the others who performed it with me, in the hope they had it tucked away in the bowels of their computer documents file.
No-one had it, and I thought my very untalented brain would have to try to write something, when dear Lela (our most-wondrously organized leader!) emailed me with a copy. Yeah Lela!
I present Glenn's little rap here ... but, you really had to see we 6 senior people "rapping" to get the full effect!!! (Poor Glenn did his best with us!)
Glenn has been a practising Buddhist for over 35 years, and he truly lives his
faith. His compassion towards others knows no bounds, and I feel blessed to know him.
During our time together, our little group had to illustrate one of the Buddhist principles at a large group meeting. We chose the subject of 'attitude'. Our mentor, Daisaku Ikeda, said:
"Change begins from the moment you muster the courage to act. When you change, the environment will change. The power to change the world is found nowhere but within our own life. Everything is determined by our attitude, by our resolve. Our heart is what matters most."
So, to illustrate this thought, Glenn wrote a little rap for us to perform - and believe me, we are NOT rappers!! But, it was a hoot ... we had fun performing it, and I think it got the message across in a lighthearted way.
Next weekend I am participating in a women's retreat, and our group of 5 from Ottawa must "perform" something on the Saturday night. At our pre-retreat briefing last week, we all racked our brains for an idea, when I suddenly remembered the rap. But, could I remember the words? Of course not! (I am surprised I even remembered we did it!) So, I fired off emails to Glenn and the others who performed it with me, in the hope they had it tucked away in the bowels of their computer documents file.
No-one had it, and I thought my very untalented brain would have to try to write something, when dear Lela (our most-wondrously organized leader!) emailed me with a copy. Yeah Lela!
I present Glenn's little rap here ... but, you really had to see we 6 senior people "rapping" to get the full effect!!! (Poor Glenn did his best with us!)
The Attitude of Gratitude
If the chunky wunky funky
Leaves you feeling blue
Then the Attitude of Gratitude
Is right for you
If the chunky wunky funky
Takes you ‘round the bend
With the Attitude of Gratitude
You’re home again
If the chunky wunky funky
Gives your life a kick
With the Attitude of Gratitude
It won’t stick
If the chunky wunky funky
Leaves you in the soup
With the Attitude of Gratitude
You break the loop
It’s all in the Attitude
It’s all in the Attitude
Yes, It’s all in the Attitude
YEAH!

No comments:
Post a Comment