Monday, 19 January 2009

Syllogomania

Did you relate at all to my previous blog on hoarding? I just found and watched a very well presented short video on my computer that I think has cured me for ever. Watch this and I guarantee you'll rush to de-clutter your entire home ... or, at least sit back and smugly realize that you're not so bad after all.

http://alexwrege.com/index.php/category/syllogomania

It's too bad such a horrible condition has such a neat sounding name ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pauline, Very interesting, but I am the opposite I am a compulsive de-clutterer often getting rid of good stuff because I (a) don't think it looks good, (b) don't think it is useful or (c) it has no sentimental value. I am quite ruthless about it. I downsized, as I told you, when I moved into this house and I am still finding stuff I don't want. My latest purge on the loft has got rid of heaps of things I will never use again such as an electric typewriter, several kettles and little portable TVs. All these things left over from when I did B&B. Still I will send on the website to my brother who is the complete opposite from me! You can't walk across his dining room and the garage is worse! Two vintage cars and all their bits and pieces, garden tools, ladders etc.
An interesting site though!
All the best, Sue.

Epsilon said...

Jeez, this documentary is frightening! Strange though, I could relate to all of the 'victims' in it: I used to order stuff over the internet, which kept me happy for 2 weeks until the next item arrived. I accumulated electric devices that broke down just because they are not the kind of stuff you should throw into the rubbish bin (still don't know where to dump them). And yes, I have all National Geo mags including maps and stuff, old postcards and letters in boxes I only intend to read again when I retire ;-) Certain things also find a resting place in the house unnoticed, however there always comes a time every spring when I take a look around the house and throw myself into a big cleaning spree...
This video serves as a warning that we should keep control of our possessions and not the other way around ;-)

Pal

Pauline said...

Oh, those National Geographics!! Who can throw them away?? We had boxes of them! When we moved I finally 'donated' them to the school I was teaching at (sneaking them into the store room when no-one was around) only to find loads of others on the shelves collecting dust!

Yes, that video IS scary Pal, it sure scared me, especially the first fellow who seemed soooo "normal" - I have books everywhere too, (I try to keep them on the shelves, but they keep jumping off!) it's my passion!!

Sue, I take my hat off to you ... but I'm sure "compulsive de-clutterers" must be in the minority - I'm honoured to know you - please come and visit and help me!!!!!