Have you had enough of the fabulous rich food which we all tend to indulge in at holiday times? I certainly have ... or rather, my body is loudly, and in no uncertain terms, telling me I have. The scales say that I have gained 7lbs over the Christmas and New Year - yikes! Who can afford that many extra pounds? Certainly not me! However, it is a new year, and although I have decided NOT to make any resolutions for 2009 (because I never keep them and only end up feeling disappointed with myself) I really must get my regular diet back on track. So, that means no more rich desserts, luscious chocolates, huge brunch-style breakfasts with little exercise except lifting my knife and fork!!
Oh, but we did have a wonderful holiday with all the family here, and I hope you did too.
Talking of glorious food (do you remember that "Oliver Twist" song from the musical? - that was the first date my husband took me on in 1969 - but I digress ...) I just adore Thai food, and when we were in Thailand in Nov. one of our highlights was a full day spent at a cooking class.
There were only eight of us in the class, we made six completely different Thai dishes, and of course got to eat our 'creations' after preparing each dish - they were delicious (if I do say so myself) How wonderful and easy it is to cook when all the ingredients are prepared for you, already measured and laid out in little dishes, vegetables cleaned, chopped and ready just to pop into the wok - I could get used to that - just like on the TV cooking shows ... plus there was no cleaning up afterwards as the dirty dishes 'magically' disappeared when we were eating, and clean ones set out in their place. Now, that's my idea of cooking!
I was surprised, and quite delighted, that Ray decided to join me at the cooking school, as he really enjoyed himself. Actually there were four men in our class, and I must say the men took it all way more seriously than we women did!
I wonder if that's why most of the world's top chefs are men? I used to love to cook, and when the children were young I was the regular 'earth-mother' making my own baby food, even making yogurt (so easy to do) delicious home-made granola muffins when they came home from school - oh yes, I did it all - but I've moved on and now only cook when I have to (like supper time every day!) But, cooking the Thai food was different and a lot of fun to do ...
... now, if I can just find someone to come and prepare all the vegetables, spices etc. - plus clean up after me - I would be very happy to throw it all into the wok and stir it for 5 minutes.
Hey presto, supper's ready!
No comments:
Post a Comment