How can I continue feeling cynical about Christmas when I see how much food is pouring into the food bank - donated by our very caring community? How can I feel sorry for myself when I see so many others in such dire straights ... picking through our free winter coat rack for something warm to wear? I am humbled.
They say that when you volunteer, you receive much more than you give, and I certainly can't argue with that. One of our best family Christmases was the first time we went and served dinner to homeless men at a local Salvation Army Shelter in the city. The five of us went, not really knowing what to expect. Oh, little did we know that we would come away with the warmest glow we have felt in years!! We repeated this experience for many more years until we moved north, and it was always rewarding ... but, never again did it match that first time. Only at Christmas do the men get served their meal (usually they line up at the counter to pick it up.) The men were amazing, and surprisingly many were intelligent and very chatty! Of course there were the eccentrics and those with obvious mental health issues, but they were all polite and very grateful. Hats off to the wonderful Salvation Army workers who help them 365 days a year!
So, yes, I am feeling much less of a scrooge tonight. It's just too bad most of us only feel this generous one day a year - then I wouldn't have to go begging for money to buy food for the food bank from the local municipal councils when spring rolls around!!
Oh well, 'tis the season, might as well join 'em!
Bye!
No comments:
Post a Comment