Thursday, 1 November 2007

Inner Beauty ...

What does the play "The Elephant Man" and His Holiness the Dalai Lama have in common??? No, it's not a joke ... actually, the answer is 'ME' - I saw both this week!

It's been an emotionally (and physically) draining time ... I'm recovering from shingles ... but had tickets for the play and to hear the Dalai Lama talk this week in Toronto (3 hours drive away.) Should I still go? Could I drive that far? I didn't mind losing the money for the theatre tickets, but I so much wanted to hear the Dalai Lama's talk!!! Relief from my mental turmoil came when Ray offered to drive me to Toronto and "find something to do" while I enjoyed myself ... I knew there was a good reason I married that man!!!! :-)

The play was phenomenal ... and Brent Carver did an outstanding job of playing the grotesquely deformed John Merrick - without use of any prosthesis. The true story set in Victorian London is immensely moving, and contains many themes on different levels. The story is basically about a terribly deformed young man who is found in a circus sideshow where he is on display for "2d a Peek". The eminent London doctor takes him to his hospital to live, where the kind treatment he receives brings out his deep intelligence and a very gentle and refined side to Merrick. He becomes the "darling" of London society, and once again is 'on show' ... this time he is paid with flattery. One obvious theme in this play is about inner beauty, and Carver let his character's beauty and inner humanity shine brightly - as one reviewer wrote "He takes your breath away!"

The following evening my breath was taken away again. The excitement was palatable as I entered the huge 30,000 seat stadium along with thousands of others all anxious to see the man who describes himself as "just a simple monk." I had purchased the best seat I could get, but was still a long way from the stage ... and needed to use the gigantic over head screens as others did to see what was happening. But, his voice ... and his chuckle came through loud and clear!

My sons had jokingly asked me who was "opening for him?" Well, as it happened, he did have an opening act ... a few actually. First there were 3 Tibetan monks chanting on stage which set a very appropriate tone to the evening ... then, some beautiful Tibetan dances and music. With China trying so hard to eradicate the Tibetan people by sending thousands of Chinese to live in Tibet, it is even more important for their culture to be preserved by those Tibetans in exile (there are about 45,000 Tibetans living in the Toronto area.) The Dalai Lama has said that "Tibetans, in their own land, are physically controlled fully by gun - but, mind - never!"

A huge white and gold couch was carried onto centre stage and you knew that he was about to appear. The Dalai Lama was everything I expected him to be - and more. He was amusing, witty, irreverent, out-spoken, self-deprecating, and wise. His message was the same as he always gives, as he shares wherever he travels around this world - that true happiness starts from within ... with a calm mind and a pure heart. That World Peace starts with each individual finding peace first within themselves, then spreading that peace to others ... that anger, hatred and fear simply cannot bring harmony.

After sitting 'nicely' for a few minutes on this beautiful couch, he said, "OK, let's now get comfortable!" And, hitching up his monks robes he assumed his traditional crossed-legged position, "Ah, that's better" he chuckled, as he also arranged a pillow behind his back, "Now, where's my hat?" And, to roars of laughter from the huge audience, he plopped a bright red sun visor on his head.

With his eyes now shaded from the bright lights, and his body in a comfortable position, he began his talk. It lasted for 90 mins, in English, with only occasional help from his close-by interpreter when he got stuck for a word - but it was not long enough. We all wanted more ... more of his common sense ... of his peaceful message ... of his total lack of formality ... of his wonderful humour, and chuckle. We wanted to stay in the presence of this "simple monk" from Tibet ... who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 ... who at age 72 still travels the world tirelessly spreading his message of world peace, and still rises at 4am to meditate every morning like all other Buddhist monks ... whose peaceful energy radiated out and filled that gigantic Toronto stadium.

But, it was over, and today the Dalai Lama flew home to India ... and I came home too - with a wonderfully big happy smile on my face!

Bye for now ...

No comments: