Thursday, 8 November 2007

Buy Nothing Day


As someone who absolutely dreads the thought of yet another Christmas season full of annoying, silly TV commercials trying to get you to spend, spend, spend, ... I find this idea remarkably appealing!

"This November 23rd, environmentalists, social activists and concerned citizens in as many as 65 count
ries will hit the streets for a 24-hour consumer fast in celebration of the 15th annual Buy Nothing Day, a global cultural phenomenon that originated in Vancouver, Canada."

I can just hear the pessimists already - "What good would that do??" Amazingly it just might do quite a bit. At the very least, it will raise awareness of our totally consumer-crazy society ... it might, just might, remind us of what is really important in our lives.

I like this idea, I think I will email one of these posters to as many people as I can ... let's spread the message!! To read more go to the site below - bye for now!

www.adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd

No comments: