Monday, 15 October 2007

New Ventures!

Life never stands still, does it! I constantly find it amazing how the Universe unfolds for us ... some call it fate, some destiny, others The Will of God ... whatever one names it, it's a higher power that seems to know better than us what we need and when we need it, then sends it along!

Six years ago when Ray and I moved up here, I wondered what on earth I was going to do to occupy my time (plus produce my traveling income!) Having just stopped a very busy teaching schedule, it was impossible to just sit and do nothing!!! So, I planned to run women's weekend retreats from our home ... took business courses, had a mailing list of over 100 teachers interested in attending. Those who know me well, also know how that idea got slowly shelved when the house took way longer to finish than expected. Instead, I became involved as an Usborne children's book consultant, and enjoyed that for a few years. But, the retreat idea hadn't gone completely, it had just slipped into a corner of my mind somewhere.

Last June, while in Wales staying at bed and breakfast places, the retreat idea came to the forefront again. I just knew I HAD to try it! Ray agreed, and we started the planning process, picking up where we'd left off 6 years ago ...

Well, the Universe had other plans for me! There was a niggling part of me that was telling me not to do this, but I didn't investigate this feeling, I ignored it ... thought it was just 'cold feet' at starting something new. Then, some good friends came to visit, and we were showing them our large walk-out basement area which Ray and I plan to finish as a rec room before Christmas. Sue gasped when she saw the area, "Why, it's beautiful down here!" she exclaimed, "Those 3 huge windows and view of the lake are all gorgeous!" Then, I looked at it with fresh eyes, and saw what she meant - it IS a beautiful room - large, airy, with a cozy wood stove, and even with it's own door to the outside. Sue asked why we didn't think of renting this out for a week-long cozy Hide-a-Way Retreat, instead of weekend retreats in the main part of our home???

Because we'd never thought of it!!

Suddenly it all fell into place ... a cute little kitchenette in this corner, a comfy bed in the other, and a lovely sitting area close to the wood stove and 42" TV. With the addition of a few walls at the bottom of the stairs the area becomes completely separate from our living area upstairs ... but, still available for us when not rented.

The interesting part was the first words out of my mouth when she suggested the idea were, "Great! Then I won't have to cook for a crowd!" This came as a complete surprise to me ... but, that was what was holding me back from doing the retreats ... that's what was niggling at me. Don't get me wrong, I like to cook, and enjoy having company over. But, I don't LOVE to cook ... and I had talked myself into doing that part of the retreats, and then not re-visited my decision ... how we can fool ourselves!!

I am thrilled at the prospect of making the downstairs as inviting and comfy as possible ... and ideas are flying between Ray and I ... a little patio just outside the door, complete with barbecue and bistro set ... a campfire area down by the lake ... maybe even the hot tub that we have talked about adding for so long! Oh, it's such fun!! The renters can swim in the lake ... use our canoe and fishing boat ... walk the woodland trails ... or, just sit peacefully with a good book and enjoy the gorgeous scenery.
Surely, people would want to rent such a place????


New Ventures are so exciting, aren't they ... it's what keeps life interesting!

Until next time, bye for now!


2 comments:

Ameerally said...

Dear Pauline,

At last I made it a point of reading all your postings from 14 April up to the latest one on October 15 - to be honest some I read in full some skimmed, some scanned some soft-paddled. All were interesting. I especially enjoyed reading about your visit to the UK, your grandchildren's bilingual ability - English and French.

You will be glad that I downloaded some of the pictures and have saved them to use one my desk top. Currently, I have the "sun-rise" on my desktop.

Your blogs really encouraged to me to start my own. I will do so and and let you know the link soon.

Keep it up.

Ameer

Pauline said...

Thanks Ameer for your kind words - I look forward to reading your own blog soon!!! Glad you finally found the site!