Wednesday, 26 September 2007

We watch and wait ...

As are most others around the world I am watching with horror the unfolding demonstrations in Burma. Each morning I tentatively listen to the world news on the radio hoping I will not hear of a bloodbath ... I watch and wait.

I cannot imagine the kind of strength and courage it takes to participate in something like this, knowing at any minute the armed soldiers of the ruling dictatorship could open fire on the crowds (as they did in 1988 and again 1994.) I watch the thousands of brave Buddhist monks peacefully walking, mostly barefoot, their robes soaking wet from the rains, openly defying the orders to abandon the protest and return home.

Yet, even braver is the human ring of Burmese people that has grown up around these monks, frantically trying to protect them from any harm - such is the reverence the Buddhist monks are held in by the local people in that part of Asia. I cannot imagine having that kind of courage .... but, then, I also cannot imagine living under such a brutal regime as those people have .

When I was in Thailand last December we spent 2 weeks up in the northern areas, and even stood at the Golden Triangle - where one can gaze upon Burma, Laos and Thailand connected by the flowing river. We met and spoke with refugees who had fled from Burma ... visited an orphanage where children are housed after their Burmese parents have been slaughtered. Later, after returning to our safe homes in Canada, I watched news reports of Canada grudgingly agreeing to accept a few thousand of these Burmese refugees into our huge country. Then, Burma disappeared from the news ... until now.

What is the world doing??? Why is everyone just standing by passively??? How many more senseless mass slaughters will take place around the world before we all wake up and collectively say NO MORE!!!

Meanwhile, the revered Burmese monks march ... and the world passively watches and waits ...

No comments: