
It's been over a month since I last wrote, yet it feels like yesterday! Is it true that time goes faster as you get older??? Many times I have had thoughts swirling around in my head and felt the need to get them onto this page ... but, time and opportunity have denied me. That's what happens when you live in such a beautiful place as ours - we get a lot of visitors in the summer (and we love it!!)
The brain continues to fascinate me, but more importantly the way our mind influences our body. On Sunday morning I listened to a fascinating documentary on CBC radio about some of the recent research findings into our brain. I had a personal reason for listening, apart from idle curiosity, because I am embarking on a 10 day meditation retreat next week, and was curious to see if the documentary would discuss how meditation has been shown to change our brain.
Yes, they did! I already knew that the Dalai Lama has been very involved in the tests being done on meditating monks to demonstrate the observable physical changes brought about in the brain by meditation. This was mentioned, and more, in the documentary. I wonder if a 10 day course (plus continued daily practice) can help bring about positive changes in my brain - oh, I hope so!!
Vipassana means to see things as they really are, and this ancient form of meditation goes back more than 2,500 years. It was rediscovered by Gotama Buddha, and was taught by him as a universal remedy for universal ills - that is, an art of living. However, this technique is non-sectarian, attracts people from all faiths and is practiced all over the world. Literature from the meditation centre tells me that Vipassana is ... "a way of self-transformation through self-0bservation. It focuses on the deep interconnection between mind and body."
OK, I'd like to transform myself, and my mind and body could sure use improved communication!! Vipassana meditation promises to help me develop a healthy mind, mastery over my mind, increased awareness, self-control and peace. But, it looks like I am going to have to work hard for this (nothing worth having comes easy) ... up at 4am ... many, many hours spent in calming and focusing the mind ... no speaking (can I do this???) ... no reading (I'm lost without my books!!) ... and, no writing (not even emails!!!)
But, I so badly want to learn how to control the constant internal chatter of my mind, to know how to restore peace and harmony to my world when things happen which are upsetting, to learn and master this technique which I have heard so much about.
So, I embrace this new experience which awaits me. I'm putting myself completely outside my comfort zone. I feel I am about to undertake an exciting journey ... watch this space for an update after I return!
Until then, bye!
No comments:
Post a Comment