Friday, 9 March 2012

Second Chances

Have I mentioned lately how much I adore being a grandmother?

Yesterday we had our two grandchildren for a sleepover, and Makayla has been asking me to show her how to use my sewing machine.  I have a lovely set-up in our basement area - sewing machine, craft things, large work table, but I am so negligent at using it.  I start a project feeling very excited and motivated, buy all the fabric and notions, then get distracted by another new project leaving the first one unfinished and in pieces ... and so it goes on.  Very poor work habits! :-(

Anyway, Makayla, who is 9, pushed my guilt buttons and asked again if she could make something, so since yesterday was rainy and dismal outside it seemed a good idea to sew.  Clearing the space on my worktable and pulling the piles of accumulated clutter off my sewing machine, I asked her what she'd like to make (hoping it would be something simple)  "An apron!" she joyfully exclaimed - perfect, I thought I could remember how to do that.

From my drawers of long-ago bought fabric, she chose a bright purple cotton, and we got started.  What fun we had.  She picked up the sewing machine very quickly - coordinating her foot pressure on the peddle with her fingers guiding the fabric through the needle part took a bit of practice and a lot of concentration, but once she got the hang of it she loved it.  Not satisfied with a simple waist apron, she wanted a bib on it too, so it became a full day's project.  She found my long-lost odd-buttons collection, and chose some bright pretty ones which we sewed on the waist band.  How proud she was at the end!

After Ray left to drive them both home, Makayla clutching her apron neatly wrapped in tissue in a gift bag, I sat pondering and musing over the day.  I have had a sewing machine almost all my life and at one time made most of my clothes, curtains, cushions etc.  Yet, I never taught my own daughter to sew.  Not even hand sewing.  No time.  No energy. I felt rather sad about that.

I feel so fortunate to have this second chance to get it right ... and am adoring it!

2 comments:

Epsilon said...

Sounds like a nice bond in that activity. How old is she? Did you sew some figures such as fairytale characters on the apron? Any photos?

Pauline said...

Hello again Pal, always a pleasure to hear from you.

Makayla is 9, and it certainly was a good bonding actitivity (pun intended:-) No time for fairytale characters, I'm afraid, and sadly I didn't even get time to take a photograph - they had to be taxied home. But, I will, and I'll post it ...