Friday, 24 February 2012

Wanted: Good Contractor!

We have entered the extremely scary world of hiring a contractor.  Finally we are ready to start the construction of a 4-season sun room addition, plus a 3-season screened-in porch to our home. Ray did the drawings for it and we invited five contractors, recommended by neighbours and friends to give us estimates. Seems simple doesn't it?

Believe me, it hasn't been. To begin with I am flabbergasted by the different approaches each man took to applying for this job (which is basically what they were doing.)  One didn't even bother coming to meet with us, just wanted the plans emailed to him.  Another came out, spent very little time here, and we've never heard from him again.  Then, there was the fellow who proceeded to pull Ray's plans apart with all kinds of criticism.  Now, remember, Ray is a structural engineer, and he has worked with plan drawings for fifty years ... We are open to suggestions, but this fellow was very arrogant in his remarks.  After I watched Ray's face change from red to purple, I left the "discussion".

Another contractor arrived looking very impressive and organized, with laptop containing photographs of past projects.  Ray and I exchanged admiring glances as he started downloading the pictures.  Unfortunately, he wasn't very proficient with his computer, and spent a lot of time trying to get them onto the screen.  He finally found the one he wanted - a log home he built for a local professional hockey player.  I joked that if this guy hired him he is probably way out of our league in price.  He hastened to assure me that wasn't the case - but, his price came in very much higher than all the others.


Prices?  Oh dear, what to do?  They say not to always go with the lowest bidder.  But, what if the lowest bidder is the only one you can afford?

The estimates came in, and they were all over the board.  Mr. "I can't find my business cards" was the lowest, with Mr. "Just give me another minute to get this picture on the *%#@! laptop" almost 80% higher.  Mr. "Arrogant" was almost as high.  Mr. "Can't be bothered coming to meet you" simply emailed us a figure with absolutely no break-down details saying if we're interested in pursuing it he'll come and talk with us.  Then, there was Mr. "No estimate at all" who was a different surprise again.

We're hoping to get this project started as soon as the frost is out of the ground (early April) ... wish us luck!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Oh I do wish you luck. I had an extension on my previous house. A very expensive (think of a figure then double it) and frustrating procedure. Great when it was finished, but a bit like having a baby i.e., the birth is painful but worth it in the end!

Pauline said...

Ha ha! Well, let's hope we survive this ordeal ... and live to see it finished! :-)