It was 10 years ago this month that I left my last paying job. I had taught for 22 years, but in 2001 had had enough of all the politicking. The profession I loved was not a pleasant place to be anymore. I quit.
Since then I have been a children's books consultant and run a vacation rental studio in our home ... volunteered at the local food bank, palliative care group, girl guides, theatre group, breast cancer support groups, grandmothers 2 grandmothers, and taught a stroke victim to read again. I have gardened, travelled, photographed, read, written, hiked, practiced yoga and tai-chi - you name it and I've done it.
Yet, something was missing, and I didn't know what.
Yesterday I started my first actual paying job, working for someone else, in 10 years. I think I might have discovered the missing link.
It's just a little 2-day a week job, working as secretary for a wonderful local Rabbi. But, I have my own little office, my own desk, no-one to bother me, and interesting work to do. Coming home yesterday after my first day I felt marvellous! More marvellous than I have felt in a very long time.
Now, I'm wondering why. Is it the structure this little job has added to my week? Is it doing something others consider worth while? Is it even the fact that the Rabbi is so appreciative of my help? The money will certainly be useful ... but, I have a feeling it's a combination of all these things. As humans we yearn to feel needed. I have raised my children to be independent adults and they all are - loving certainly, but they really don't need me in their busy lives. I find I push myself in and try to play a role, and they kindly tolerate my presence, but it's not really needed. My husband is also a very independent fellow - always has been, and we both like it that way, and yet ...
So, perhaps my new little job for two days a week, and my new boss, the kindly Rabbi, might prove to be the missing link in my life - I hope so.
Since then I have been a children's books consultant and run a vacation rental studio in our home ... volunteered at the local food bank, palliative care group, girl guides, theatre group, breast cancer support groups, grandmothers 2 grandmothers, and taught a stroke victim to read again. I have gardened, travelled, photographed, read, written, hiked, practiced yoga and tai-chi - you name it and I've done it.
Yet, something was missing, and I didn't know what.
Yesterday I started my first actual paying job, working for someone else, in 10 years. I think I might have discovered the missing link.
It's just a little 2-day a week job, working as secretary for a wonderful local Rabbi. But, I have my own little office, my own desk, no-one to bother me, and interesting work to do. Coming home yesterday after my first day I felt marvellous! More marvellous than I have felt in a very long time.
Now, I'm wondering why. Is it the structure this little job has added to my week? Is it doing something others consider worth while? Is it even the fact that the Rabbi is so appreciative of my help? The money will certainly be useful ... but, I have a feeling it's a combination of all these things. As humans we yearn to feel needed. I have raised my children to be independent adults and they all are - loving certainly, but they really don't need me in their busy lives. I find I push myself in and try to play a role, and they kindly tolerate my presence, but it's not really needed. My husband is also a very independent fellow - always has been, and we both like it that way, and yet ...
So, perhaps my new little job for two days a week, and my new boss, the kindly Rabbi, might prove to be the missing link in my life - I hope so.
2 comments:
Congratulations on finding the missing link. We all need to feel of worth and value. As well, as do something interesting in life. Glad you found that missing link and good luck in your new job. Sounds great.
I'm so happy for you, Pauline. You seem to have found what's missing for you. I met with a longtime friend and colleague a few weeks ago who said that, as women, we're reaching an age when we aren't needed anymore. Aomething else to get used to as we age!
Hugs,
Tiptoe Dragon
Post a Comment